Concurrent Enrollment - Frequently Asked Questions

Q. I am a high school student; can I enroll in concurrent classes?

Yes, if you are a junior, you can enroll in concurrent classes and earn both high school and college credit.


Q. How do I receive college credit for the classes I am taking while I am in high school?

You need to apply to FSCC. Fill out your demographic information. Click on Pre-enroll now and select the classes you wish to earn college credit for which are offered through your school.


Q. Why do I need an FSCC ID and Pin?

The ID and PIN allow you to log into GIZMO in the Student Portal, enroll in classes, and view your schedule, final grades, and account balance.


Q. I do not have an FSCC ID; how do I get one?

The first time you apply online, you will receive an FSCC ID and you will be asked to choose a PIN for your student account. PRINT THE PAGE AND SAVE FOR YOUR RECORDS.


Q. I don’t remember my ID or PIN; how do I get a new one?

If you don’t remember your FSCC ID or PIN, call the advising office at 620-223-2700, ext. 3630.


Q. I have an FSCC ID and PIN; do I need to apply online again?

No, you do not need to apply again. You can just pre-enroll through GIZMO with your ID and pin.


Q. I would like to add or remove a course that I pre-enrolled in. How do I do that?

You can add or change a course by logging into GIZMO through the Student Portal.


Q.  Do I need to take ACT/ACCUPLACER test even though I am taking one class?

You do not need an ACT/ACCUPLACER score for the first 6 credit hours unless you are taking English, Math or Physical Science class.


Q. How do I take the ACCUPLACER test?

You can make an appointment by calling the Fort Scott campus at 620-223-2700 ext. 4410 or 4300 or the Miami County Campus at 913-294-4178.


Q. I want to pre-enroll, but I have a hold on my account. What do I do?

Contact the business office at 620-223-2700, ext. 5090 or ext. 5120, or email Amber Patrick at to take care of the hold before you can pre-enroll.


Q. I am a high school student how do I pre-enroll for evening classes at FSCC Miami County Campus?

You can pre-enroll by completing the paper enrollment form, having your principal sign it, and submitting the form to FSCC Miami County Campus. Paper enrollment forms are only accepted for evening classes if they are being held at the campus other than high school.



Q. I pre-enrolled in some courses, but I don’t see them on my schedule in GIZMO.

When you pre-enrolled, you were added to the wait list. After we verify your prerequisites (ACT/ACCUPLACER scores) and receive your principal’s approval, you would be enrolled in the classes. At that point you will be able to see them in GIZMO.


Q. If I move out of the area and/or cannot complete my concurrent class, what should I do?

You must fill out an FSCC Change of Schedule form, which can be obtained from the FSCC Registrar’s office. You can contact the Registrar's office at 620-223-2700, ext 3580 or 3560. Failure to withdraw from the college class may result in a failing grade on your permanent college transcript.


Q. When I complete a concurrent class, how will my grade be recorded at FSCC, and how do I request my official transcript? 

Your grade will be recorded on an official FSCC transcript. To request an official transcript, click here.


Q. If I decide to attend FSCC after I graduate from high school, will my concurrent courses count towards graduation at FSCC?



Q. Will my credits transfer to colleges and universities other than FSCC?

The Kansas Board of Regents has approved 70 courses for guaranteed transfer. A student who completes one of these courses at any Kansas public university, community college, or technical college can be certain that he or she can transfer it to any other Kansas public postsecondary institution offering the course. The course equivalency guide can be found at:

Since students attend institutions throughout the country, we cannot give an unqualified “yes” answer, as each institution sets its own policy for accepting transfer credits. You must request official copies of your FSCC transcript be sent to the institution you are planning to attend so they can evaluate transferability.


Q. If I attend a college or university other than FSCC, how do I get my FSCC transcript sent?

By completing a transcript request form. For more information, please refer to our Transcript Information page.


Q. Will earning college credits while in high school have any effect on college scholarship possibilities?

Possibly. At some colleges, if you have earned more than 12 college credits, your college GPA rather than your high school GPA will be used in awarding scholarships.  It is also possible that your scholarship or financial aid could be impacted if you withdraw from concurrent classes.  For more information, contact the financial aid office at the college or university you plan to attend.

 Kansas legislation regarding concurrent enrollment (sometimes referred to as “dual” enrollment) allows eligible secondary school students the opportunity to earn college credit while enrolled in an equivalent class at the secondary site.

 K.S.A. 2000 Supp. 72-11a01 through 72-11a05: The Kansas Challenge to Secondary School Pupils Act.

 KBOR Policy and Procedures IV.8: Concurrent Enrollment of High School Students In Eligible Public Postsecondary Institutions.  (6-11-2008)


Q. If I decide during the second semester that I would like college credit for a first semester course in which I was not enrolled, can I enroll retroactively?

No. You must enroll in the college class during the first two weeks of the semester.


Q. Do I have to pay for college classes taken concurrently at the high school?

Yes. For the current FSCC Tuition and Fees schedule, click here.