Bourbon County Tuition Waiver
Fort Scott Community College offers a tuition waiver exclusively for Bourbon County residents who wish to take a class on the Fort Scott campus. FSCC will waive the tuition costs for any Bourbon County resident who takes one of the 56 classes (list below), which are guaranteed to transfer to any public college or university in Kansas by the Kansas Board of Regents (KBOR).
Under the KBOR agreement, if a student takes College Algebra at FSCC, it counts as College Algebra at any Kansas public college or university a student may wish to attend. FSCC still has several other transfer agreements, but this covers all students, even the ones that do not complete programs.
For example, if a Bourbon County resident would like to take College Algebra, the college would waive the tuition costs –a savings of $141 for three credit hours. The students would still be responsible for fees and purchasing books. Kansas state statute prohibits community colleges from the scholarship or waiver of fee costs. Fee costs generally pay to support infrastructure, class materials and other direct costs to the college.
Students interested in taking more than one class should visit with FSCC Admissions. More substantial scholarships for Bourbon County residents and other financial aid opportunities continue to be available. Students who are currently enrolled may be eligible for the scholarship if they are not already receiving other scholarships. Concurrent and SB 155 classes are not eligible for this waiver.
For more information, contact FSCC Admissions at 620-223-2700, ext. 3520 or ext. 3520.
Classes approved for the waiver
- Acting I (DRA 1013)
- Acting II (DRA 1023)
- American Government (POL 1013)
- Anatomy and Physiology (BIO 1255)
- Art Appreciation (ART 1053)
- Biology (BIO 1215)
- Calculus I (MAT 1015)
- Chemistry I (CHEM 1015)
- College Algebra (MAT 1083)
- Developmental Psychology (PSY 1023)
- Elementary Statistics (MAT 2253)
- English 101 (ENG 1013)
- English 102 (ENG 1023)
- Fundamentals of Physical Science (PHS 1215)
- General Literature (ENG 2293)
- General Psychology (PSY 1013)
- Introduction to Computer Science (COM 1053)
- Macroeconomic (ECON 2023)
- Microeconomics (ECON 1023)
- Music Appreciation (MUSI 1023)
- Music Theory (MUSI 1013)
- Nutrition (NUT 1213)
- Physics I (PHS 2065)
- Public Speaking (SPE 1093)
- Religions of Mankind (REL 1093)
- Social Problems (SOC 1023)
- Sociology (SOC 1013)
- Stagecraft (DRA 1053)
- Theatre Appreciation (DRA 1313)
- United States History 101 (HIS 1013)
- United States History 102 (HIS 1023)
- World Regional Geography (GEO 1023)