Are you interested in pursuing a degree in math? Then Fort Scott Community College is the place to start! Our 23-to-1 student-to-instructor ratio provides a quality learning atmosphere for our students.
Please view our Recommendations for Students interested or majoring in Math.
- Lecture-based, question/answer format with paper/pencil tests.
- Textbook or computerized homework options through Hawkes Learning Systems – Your choice!
- Traditional textbook method - students turn in homework the following class period and/or take an in-class quiz, and it is graded by the teacher
- Students receive the grade earned on each assignment
- Computerized mastery learning method – students may work either online or offline
- Students must achieve 80% correct and receive 100% for the assignment if completed on time
- If a problem is missed, students can choose to either miss the problem and immediately see how to do the problem correctly or try a similar problem with no penalty
- Students may try the computerized homework as many times as they wish
Higher Mathematics Highlights
- Small class sizes with direct tutoring from instructors (not graduate assistants):
- Basic Calculus
- Elementary Statistics
- Calculus I
- Calculus II
- Calculus III
Below are some links to career opportunities in mathematics:
Mu Alpha Theta – We are considering beginning a chapter if students are interested. Please contact Division Chairperson Kathy Malone for more information.